Monday, October 02, 2006

 

Readings for Friday Oct 20

Since we have 2.5 weeks until the next class meeting -- due to conferences -- we will be discussing 6 readings Friday October 20. These should probably be read in the listed order. The first is an interesting follow-on to the fracture mechanics we just finished; the rest are an introduction to stress waves and shock waves in solids, and the methods of equations of state.

I can't emphasize enough that if this is your first encounter with these kinds of papers, a lot of it might not sink in until much later. It's all about repeated exposure -- or accumulation of cyclic strains until you crack! So in marking up your readings for discussion, remember there are no "wrong questions". (Well, "what were we supposed to read for today?" would be a wrong question.)

HousenHolsapple.Icarus99.pdf
Melosh89.ch3.pdf
Melosh89.ch4.pdf especially 2nd half
Melosh 89.appx.pdf
Melosh.JAP03.pdf
Melosh.MAPS2006.pdf

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Howdy from DPS...

I am unable to ftp into topaz.pmc.ucsc.edu

Can somebody check with Gretchen or Ed to see whether ftp will be enabled? I'd like to upload the zipped files for you.

(They disappear after about one week)

As for who does what, I don't have this with me. I know Craig is doing Melosh 2006, and I think that Plesko is doing Melosh 2003. But I don't have my notes.

Erik
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?